My Nutty ‘Nog
Tis’ the season of traditions! The delicious sweet treats that mark the season often include gingerbread houses, sugar cookies, Christmas bark, and then there’s eggnog. For all of you that love the ‘nog, please don’t judge, but I have never truly been a fan. I think it is partially for the traditional component of egg and the dairy that doesn’t sit well with me. I see that the world does have a few vegan eggnog options out there, but I often find the store-bought versions to be quite sweet for my palette. This year, I wanted to try making my own version at home to see if I can whip something up that would suit my lifestyle and taste buds. Enter: My Nutty ‘Nog.
My go-to’s when looking to create something creamy or dairy like is cashews. Yup…cashews. By soaking the cashew, it can create a creamy like texture, and is often the base for non-dairy things such as cheese, cheesecakes, or even ice cream! In addition to their super power to be a cheesy alternative, there are several medicinal benefits it delivers:
- they are a warming food (perfect for this season)
- contains magnesium, zinc, potassium, and phosphorous
- contains 20% protein
- lower in fat than other nuts (right up there with almonds)
4 medjool dates (pitted)
1/2 cup raw cashews
Enough hot water to cover the cashews + dates combined
1 + 3/4 cups of coconut milk (or any alternative milk of your choosing)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1. Place dates and cashews in a bowl. Pour hot water over to top, enough so that the dates and cashews are submerged. Soak for approx 10 minutes.
2. Drain the hot the water from the dates and cashews.
3. Take the soaked dates, cashews, and all other ingredients and place in a high speed blender.
4. Blend on high until everything is thoroughly mixed together. It should resemble a thicker creamier liquid. Taste, and update to your liking.